You are here
Munther A Younes
Reis Senior Lecturer of Arabic Language and Linguistics
OFFICE HOURS FALL 2017:
Monday, Wednesday 11:00-12:00; Tuesday 8:00-9:00AM & by appointment
- Near Eastern Studies
- Near Eastern Studies
Arabic linguistics (phonetics, phonology, morphology, sociolinguistics, and comparative/historical dialectology), teaching Arabic as a foreign language, the language of the Qur’an, comparative Semitic linguistics.
- ARAB 1203 - Intermediate Arabic I
- ARAB 2201 - Arabic for Heritage Speakers
- ARAB 2204 - Introduction to Quranic Arabic
- ARAB 3206 - Intensive Arabic II
- ARAB 4203 - Current Events in Arabic Media
- ARAB 4867 - In Search of the Original Quran
- NES 4991 - Independent Study, Undergraduate Level
- NES 4992 - Independent Study, Undergraduate Level
- NES 6991 - Independent Study: Graduate Level
- NES 6992 - Independent Study: Graduate Level
- In Search of the Original Qur'an (in preparation for publication)
- The Integrated Approach to Arabic Instruction, Routledge 2015.
- Arabiyyat al-Naas, Part III, (for third-year Arabic), with Yomna Chami, Routledge 2014.
- Arabiyyat al-Naas, Part II, (for second-year Arabic), with Hanada al-Masri, Routledge, 2013.
- Arabiyyat al-Naas, Part I (for first-year Arabic), with Makda Weatherspoon and Maha Saliba Foster, Routledge 2013.
- Kalila wa Dimna for Students of Arabic, Routledge 2013.
- The Routledge Introduction to Qur'anic Arabic, Routledge 2012
- “Solving the Arabic Language Dilemma: First Steps”. To be published in a Festschrift in honor of Prof. El-Said Badawi in 2015.
- “Blessing, Clinging, Familiarity, Custom -- or Ship: A New Reading of the Word Īlāf in Q 106”, accepted for publication by the Journal of Qur’anic Studies.
- “Angels, Death, the Soul, Stars , Bows--or Women?: The Opening Verses of Qur’an 79.” New Perspectives on the Qur’aan: The Qur’an in Its Historical Context 2”. Edited by Gabriel Said Reynolds. London and New York: Routledge 2011.
- “In Suffering or in Honor: A Reinterpretation of Q 90 (al-Balad)”, Die Entstehung einer Weltreligion I. Edited by Markus Groß and Karl-Heinz Ohlig. Berlin/Tübingen: Verlag Hans Schiller 2010.
- “Ingrate or Honorable: A reexamination of the word kanuud in Qur’an:100”. )”, Arabica 56, 2009.
- “Charging Steeds or Maidens Doing Good Deeds: A Re-Interpretation Of Qur’an 100 (Al-‘Aadiyaat)”, Arabica 55, 2008.
- “I’raab, Power, and Language Reform in the Arab World”, Al-‘Arabiyya 40-41, 2008.
- “Bringing Hamza under Control: A Proposal for Simplifying Hamza-Writing Rules in Arabic”. Al-'Arabiyya 38-40, 2008.
- “Integrating the Colloquial with Fusha in the Arabic-as-a-Foreign-Language Classroom”, in Handbook for Arabic language teaching professionals in the 21st century (edited by Kassem M. Wahba, Zeinab A. Taha, Liz England).Mahwah, N.J. : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2006.
- “Redundancy and productivity in Palestinian Arabic verb derivation”, in Proceedings of the Third International Conference of AIDA (Association Internationale de Dialectologie Arabe), 2000.
- "An Integrated Curriculum for Teaching Elementary Arabic," The Teaching of Arabic in the 1990’s: Directions and Issues, 1995.
- "On Vowel Shortening in Palestinian Arabic," Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics VII: Papers from the Seventh Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics, 1995.
- "On Emphasis and /r/ in Arabic," Perspectives on Arabic Linguistics VI: Papers from the Sixth Annual Symposium on Arabic Linguistics, 1994.
- "An Integrated Approach to Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language," Al-‘Arabiyya 23, 1990.